Protect your entire body on every ride
Don’t let a 15 minute ride become a 12 month recovery. In a motorcycle crash, casual clothes only protect your body for a split second. You are less likely to be admitted to hospital after a crash if you are wearing protective clothing.
Got the gear? Ride with it. tac.vic.gov.au/motorcycle
Some very interesting facts:
- Tragically we saw 41 motorcycle fatalities in 2021, an increase of nine from 2020.
- Riders can, and do, travel unprotected at high speeds, that other vulnerable road users (such as pedestrians and cyclists) simply cannot reach. Therefore, motorcyclists need all of the protection they can get when riding, and protective gear.
- Protective clothing is vital form of protection for riders. When worn, it reduces the severity of most common rider injuries. Research (de Rome et al, 2011) shows that motorcyclists are:
- -21% less likely to be admitted to hospital if they crash wearing a motorcycle jacket
- 51% less likely to be admitted to hospital if they crash wearing motorcycle pants
- 59% less likely to be admitted to hospital if they crash wearing motorcycle gloves.
- Protect your entire body on every ride
If you or someone you know needs support because of road trauma, please contact Road Trauma Support Services on 1300 367 797. You can also visit www.rtssv.org.au